Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Hike that Wasn´t

I realized that I´m behind on sharing my adventures with all of you - oops! I suppose I´ll start with the hike that didn´t happen (at least, not that day). I was all set to hike up to Volcán Barva, and had packed my snacks, put my water bottles in the fridge, packed an extra pair of socks and a wool sweater in my bag, and then started to get out my clothes for the next morning. I had washed my leggings two days before, so I stepped out back to grab them from the laundry line. I then realized that they had sat underneath a drip in the getter for two days, and were in fact wetter than they had been when I took them out of the wash. That cancelled my plans for the next day! I hung them up inside to dry, and went to bed. I slept in super late - all the way to 10am! I cleaned for most of the morning, and then decided I needed to go grocery shopping. I didn´t want to go to the Perimercado, since I´ve been there a number of times. Instead, I walked up the hill, past the UBL. I stopped by the musmanni, which is a bread store of sorts, and got a donut and a baugette, and then continued walking. I caught the Cedros bus, and took it to the end of the line - which was all of four blocks from where I´d been. I went to the small shopping center called la cruz, because there´s a massive crucifix on the corner. I got a chocolate ice cream at Pops, which has some of the best ice cream in Costa Rica, and then went to the grocery store, which is a really expensive one - but if I ever get a hankering for comida tipica norteamericana I know where to go. I walked all the way back down the hill to my apartment, through the rain that had just begun. I feel like I know the area a bit better now, having done that exploring, which is nice.

1 comment:

  1. do your things begin to mildew with all the rain and moist air? I can't remember that part...but I do think I remember the apartment having a sort of musty smell...

    ReplyDelete