Wednesday, February 4, 2009

getting closer. . .

I leave in three days. Its really, really hard to believe. I'm even partially packed! (Thats pretty astounding, actually). I'm terrified of leaving something I'll need behind, but I also don't want to over-pack. Mom and I went shopping today, and I think I pretty much am done with that part. (Thank heaven for small miracles!) Dad and I have been watching "australia" movies, including the new movie Australia - which I would recommend! We also watched Quigley Down Under, which I'm not so sure I'd recommend.

I've been in contact with a women's ultimate team in Melbourne, and there's a tournament the last weekend in February I think I'll go to. I'm missing a lot of the early season training, and I'm going to have to work hard to get my fitness level back up, but its nice to have a group of people there who know I'm coming, and are excited to meet me, and have extended lots of offers for help getting around, settling in, or whatever else I need. It makes me feel a lot less nervous about the friend-making part of this trip/adventure.

I think the part I'm currently flipping out about the most is all the flying I have to do. What if I miss a connection? Get stranded in Auckland? Can't get through customs? What if I can't find the van? I'm, surprisingly, not nervous about actually being in Melbourne. As long as I have space to call my own, I'll be okay, I know. Its the in-between part thats scary.

1 comment:

  1. So, you are off! You have landed in San Francisco and are meeting Ali and Julia, you will see Ken Later. Then tomorrow the adventure begins for real. We love you, I love you! I am so thrilled you have the 'ganas' to do this. love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete