Friday, March 13, 2009

Rain!

It rained this week! Several times, actually. In proper arid-area fashion, the grass and flowers immediately perked up, and the city is much greener today than it was three days ago. What was not so cool was the pouring rain as I walked to class or took a tram to practice (and subsequently practiced). But it was needed, and whats a little rain-water?

My second week of classes is over. I seem to have a magical inability to arrive to my first lecture of the day on time, no matter how much extra time I think I'm giving myself. I'm still in the Grinnell mindset - even though I know better, I still think I can leave ten minutes before class and get there in plenty of time. Fat chance. I really need twenty minutes or so. My classes are good, and going well. I'm not a huge fan of Probability for Statistics, but I'll survive. We had a guest lecturer in Australia and America, and he was not very good. And he is the United States studies guy at Uni. I'm hoping that it was just an abberation, and the other lectures will be good. I know the readings are fascinating - the current bunch are about the stolen generations in Australia and the US, which is depressing, but fascinating, reading. I had my first tutorials on Monday, and it was such a relief to have actual discussion, even if the tutor had to do some major prodding - there were some definite crickets in the rooms! Classes are definitely going well.

This weekend I am headed to Ballarat to play regionals with Honey Bees. I have a jersey and everything. I'm pretty excited. We'll be seeing different teams than our last tournament, which is always a good thing! We had a "practice" game against one of the division one league teams on Wednesday (in the rain), which went really well. I think we'll play well together, even though this weekend will be the first time we've all played as a team.

Other than a fair amount of ultimate and reading, I haven't done much this week. Its been a bit of a relief to be a homebody, actually. I discovered the "for fun" library in the Student Union a few days ago and have been back already for new books. There are signs posted everywhere that say "Please, do NOT study!" or "No studying!". I have enjoyed the books I've checked out so far. It might seem really obvious, but its an entirely different selection of books than at any library back home, which is nice. The "American" authors and books are puzzling to me - I can't figure out why they picked who they picked. But I'm trying some Australian writers, and so far so good! There's also a large DVD collection, which I'm definitely going to check out the next time I have a free weekend.

Hope all is well with all of you, wherever you might be! I miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment